The words computational biology and bioinformatics can be used interchangeably. Concerning the creation and maintenance of databases of biological information is the simplest tasks used in bioinformatics. The majority of such databases comprises Nucleic acid sequences (and the protein sequences derived from them) .
The major work done in the field of bioinformatics: Finding the genes in the DNA sequences of various organisms. The structure and function of newly discovered proteins and structural RNA sequences are predicted . The development of protein models and Clustering protein sequences into families of related sequences and Aligning similar proteins and generating phylogeny trees to examine evolutionary relationships.
Bioinformatics career : Bioinformatics is applicable in human health, environment, agriculture, biotechnology and energy .
Eligibility : A career in Bioinformatics is suitable for the graduates or
post-graduates in genetics, molecular biology, chemistry, veterinary science, pharmacy, mathematics, microbiology, physics and also for the engineers IT professionals, and medicos. In bioinformatics various courses are available as like B. Tech in Bioinformatics, Masters Degree in Bioinformatics, Advanced Diploma in Bioinformatics and M. Tech in Bioinformatic.
Institutes offering Bioinformatics: These courses are offered by
1. Calcutta University in Kolkata,
2. SRM University in Chennai,
3. Institute of Bioinformatics and Applied Biotechnology in Bangalore,
4. Madurai Kamaraj University in Madurai,
5. Indian Institute of Information Technology in Allahabad,
6. Pondicherry University in Puducherry and
7. Jamia Millia Ismalia University in New Delhi.
8. Apeejay Svran Institute for Biosciences and Clinical Research, Gurgaon ( Haryana Sector-32, Plot-26 , Gurgaon ( Gurgaon Dist. ) – 122001
bioCampus, Hyderabad (Andhra Pradesh)
9. gvk bioSciences Private Limited, #S-1, Phase -1, Technocrats Industrial
Estate Balanagar , Hyderabad ( Hyderabad Dist. ) – 500037
10.Bioinformatics Institute of India (B.I.I.), Noida( Uttar Pradesh )
C-56A/28, Sector – 62 , Noida ( Gautam Buddha Nagar Dist. ) – 201301
11. Biosys Biotech Lab and Research Centre, Chennai Tamil Nadu
63 32, 2nd Floor Kamaraaj colony, first street Kodaambakam , Chennai ( Chennai Dist. ) – 600024
12. C.M.S. College of Science and Commerce, Coimbatore( Tamil Nadu )
Chinnavedampatty , Coimbatore ( Coimbatore Dist. ) – 641006
13. Center for Bioinformatics Research Institute, Chennai( Tamil Nadu )
203/1,Arcot Road, NSK Salai, Vadapalani , Chennai ( Chennai Dist. ) – 600026
14. Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya : School of Biotechnology, Indore( Madhya Pradesh )
15. Devi Ahilya University, Khandwa Road , Indore ( Indore Dist. ) – 452001
16. Dolphin (P.G.) Institute of Bio-Medical and Natural Sciences, Dehradun( Uttarakhand )
17. Manduwala, Chakrata Road , Dehradun ( Dehradun Dist. ) – 248007
18. Dr. N.G.P. Arts and Science College, Coimbatore( Tamil Nadu )
Kalapatti Road , Coimbatore ( Coimbatore Dist. ) – 641048
19. Holy Mathaa College of Modern Technology Ernakulaam Keralaa
Manakkapaadi, North Paravur , Ernaakulam ( Ernaakulam Dist. ) – 683511
20. Institute of Bioinformatics and Applied Biotechnology, Bangalore(
21. G-05, Tech Park Mall,International Technology Park Bangalore (ITPB),
Whitefield Road , Bangalore ( Bangalore (Bengaluru) Dist. ) – 560066
22.Integral University, Lucknow( Uttar Pradesh )
Dasauli, P.O. Bas-ha Kursi Road , Lucknow ( Lucknow Dist. ) – 226026
23. iPower Solutions India Ltd, Adyar( Tamil Nadu )
9/5, IInd Floor, II Main Road , Karpagam Gardens , Adyar ( Chennai Dist. ) – 600020
24. Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi( Delhi )
Maulana Mohammad Ali Johar Marg, Jamia Nagar , New Delhi ( Delhi ) – 110025.